Whenever there is a problem with your plumbing, it is typically best to call a professional plumber to handle the issue properly, but there are certain things everyone should know about their plumbing to keep it working efficiently and troubleshoot minor problems. Never attempt to tackle major projects because you will most likely create a bigger issue than you started with and end up paying a fortune for repairs. Always keep these everyday tips in mind, however, so that your plumbing can do its job efficiently.
- Know where your main water shut-off valve is, and also where the shut-offs for individual toilets, sinks, and other fixtures are located.
- Know where your pipes are. You don’t want to accidentally puncture a pipe when you are nailing or drilling into a wall.
- Buy a plunger that you can use specifically for clearing minor clogs from your sink and shower drains.
- Don’t waste time getting your leaky faucets fixed. It may not seem like much, but they can waste gallons of water every day and run your water bill up.
- Keep some plumber’s tape in your toolbox. If you are reconnecting any loose fittings or installing something like a new shower head, wrap the tape around the threads three times before connecting the pieces.
- Be careful what you flush. Typically, it is best to try not to flush anything but toilet paper down the toilet. Even wet wipes that advertise as “flushable” can cause back-ups.
- Avoid washing food particles and other debris down your drains. Many people think it is ok to wash rice, pieces of vegetables, bacon grease, and coffee grounds down the drain, but these items can build up and cause major clogs.
- If small items like combs and children’s toys get dropped down the bathroom sink, use a wet-dry vac to remove them if they are beyond reach.
If you are experiencing any major plumbing issues, you should call on the professionals at Rivers Plumbing, Heating & Air to handle the problem. Visit our website or call us today at (925) 846-6000.